Urien Rakarth is the test model and hopefully some of you may have seen the completed model already on the blog and what follows is a guide to every aspect of painting the model to a standard I am very happy with but also only using the tutorials that could be found in White Dwarf.
I have noticed that Games Workshop have removed all painting tutorials from their site and the rumours etc going round regarding a whole new load of paints coming out, the tutorials I have used may be out of date very soon.
Before we begin it must be noted that the only part of Urien that did not have a tutorial in White Dwarf were his tentacle arms, of which I will include my own thoughts for the painting of these.
|Urien, after following WD 379 July 2011|
- Basecoat the flesh and bone with Dheneb Stone, the weapons with Boltgun Metal and the leather with Chaos Black. Highlight the leather with Scorched Brown.
- Apply a heavy wash of Ogryn Flesh to the skin. Edge highlight the leather Snakebite Leather. Wash the metal Badab Black.
- Layer a 1:1 mix of Dheneb Stone and Skull White onto the skin. Edge highlight the leather Kommando Khaki and the metal Mithril Silver.
- Apply a fine highlight of Skull White to the flesh and bone, and wash the leather with Devlan Mud.
While the parts of the tutorial shown are steps 1 - 4, there are another 2 steps which involve adding a Leviathan Purple and Thraka Green wash to the model, which I did not think would be necessary on the Haemonculus.
- First block out the glass vial/tubes with Chaos Black
- Apply a basecoat of Orkhide Shade to the whole area
- Highlight the upper area of the vial Snot Green
- Apply a highlight of Scorpion Green. Finally highlight with Skull White and wash with Thraka Green.
- Basecoat the tentacles in Red Gore, with the ends of them (the pincer areas) painted Chaos Black.
- Wash the tentacles with Badab Black followed by Devlan Mud.
- Add Mithril Silver to the pincers on the end of the tentacles and highlight the tentacles with Blood Red